Sunday, September 13, 2015

Spaghetti Squash with Deconstructed Pesto

https://australianpastafarianlobby.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/arrrgh.jpg

All hail his holy carbiness! This was my first time cooking spaghetti squash on my own and I've been watching all your Pinterest boards for months on how to perfectly cook this monster into something that closely resembles one of our most beloved form of carbs. I have tons of basil from my recent harvest, so that's where the pesto comes in. The deconstructed business is only because Thomas Keller has spoiled my taste buds and contrary to popular belief, I don't always like to completely homogenize everything I eat. (I'm going to make the best old person with my mechanically softened diet!)

I'll talk about my tips from my own experience in this post, but if you want to see the "research" I did on how to cook spaghetti squash well and the many methods for cooking spaghetti squash, go here.

This was a great dish to prepare ahead of time and take with me to see The Piano Guys at Ravinia. It went well with the picnic my friends and I put together, but I would suggest keeping the basil separate until just before serving so it doesn't wilt overnight.

Here are some awkward photos my friends allowed me to take of them eating this dish. They enjoyed eating it far more than enduring my poor photog skills. I know, they look so happy and excited!

Ingredients:
  1. 1 spaghetti squash
  2. 4 Tbsp olive oil, reserved
  3. 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
  4. 1/4 cup chopped pine nuts
  5. 1/3 cup Parmesan or Romano cheeses or mix of both
  6. kosher salt
  7. coarsely ground black pepper
  8. 2 cups fresh basil leaves (large bunch), julienned
  9. 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Instructions:
  • With a sharp knife, pierce spaghetti squash 5-6 times.
  • Microwave on high for 5-10 minutes, depending on the size of your spaghetti squash.
  • Remove from microwave and allow to cool for 20-30 minutes.
  • Slice into rings (width-wise).
  • Remove seeds from center of rings and set aside
  • Remove strands from rings, discarding the thick outer skin.
  • If strands are excessively moist, line a colander with paper towel, place strands into lined colander, and allow to drain for 10-15 minutes.
  • Heat a deep sauté pan over med-low heat.
  • Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and chopped garlic, sauté 2-3 minutes or until lightly browned.
  • Add chopped pine nuts, sauté and additional 1-2 minutes or until pine nuts have become slightly transparent. 
  • Add spaghetti squash strands and turn heat to low, sauté 5-10 minutes or until most of the moisture from the squash has evaporated. 
  • Remove from heat, add cheese(s), remaining olive oil, and julienned fresh basil.
  • Salt and pepper to taste.
  • Add balsamic vinegar just before serving. 
Spaghetti Squash After-Party:
For an additional snack, prepare the seed as you would with pumpkin seeds!

Just make sure you clean them soon after removing them during squash prep. Let them sit out overnight to dry adequately. Toss them in olive oil and roast on your oven's lowest setting until seeds are crispy (about 20-30 minutes). Toss with seasoning and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment