Monday, August 10, 2015

Sweet Pumpkin Risotto


My original insomnia-fueled idea was basically rice pudding but with a custard base: arborio cooked in milk and brown sugar, spiced with cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, and cardamom, then add an egg yolk to make it a custard, and add pureed pumpkin at the end. I also wanted to top it off with orange zest and julienned basil.

I still want to try the above idea, but that's not exactly what I ended up making. I didn't have any eggs, so I didn't go the custard route. But I'm not sure if it even needs it since it took 5 cups of milk before the arborio was the right texture. Because of all the milk, it's already super rich and I'm not sure how the custard will fit in with this. (Just going to have to experiment more!) I used honey instead of brown sugar (again, because I was out) and I like the more subtle warmth the honey gives. I ended up using store-bought, pre-ground cinnamon instead of my usual Indian market cinnamon bark I grind myself. It works, but it's a different flavor from what I'm used to and the texture isn't as smooth. I didn't have nutmeg, but I used ground ginger since I have almost as much ground ginger as I have arborio riceI think I might also add some pure vanilla extract next time. The dried cranberries are a great, tangy balance to all the richness of the dish and might even be a better compliment than the orange zest I originally suggested.

Special note on spices: Don't be afraid to buy whole spices and grind them yourself, it's easier than you think! I like to get mine from local Indian markets because they're a lot less expensive and better quality (more potent). All you need to grind them is an inexpensive blade coffee grinder. This grinder needs to be exclusively for spices (not coffee beans) and should be cleaned soon after grinding to avoid unwanted flavors lingering in the grinder and mixing with future spices. Another inexpensive and helpful tool is a zester, which grates citrus and whole nutmeg. 


Ingredients:

  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 4-5 cups milk, reserved
  • 2-3 Tablespoons honey, to tase
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • salt to taste
  • 1 can plain pumpkin (the kind you use for pies, but not the giant can)
  • Optional: dried cranberries
Directions:
  1. Heat pan on medium-low, then add olive oil and butter.
  2. Add arborio and sauté until outer layer becomes clear (2-3 min). 
  3. Add 1 cup milk, turn heat down to low so milk doesn't thicken and burn too quickly. 
  4. Add honey, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, cardamom, and salt to taste. 
  5. As the sauce thickens, add 3-4 more cups milk, ONE BY ONE, until rice is soft and you have the consistency of a Béchamel sauce 
  6. Turn heat to lowest position and start slowly adding the canned pumpkin, stirring constantly. 
  7. Cook on low for 3-4 more minutes to let pumpkin thicken slightly.
  8. Move to a cool burner, salt until the flavor pops
  9. Top with dried cranberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment